A 1921 real estate advertisement described Hedrick Acres as "the loveliest spot in Pima County for a delightful country home." The exact location of Hedrick Acres? Campbell Avenue on the east, First Avenue on the West. Fort Lowell Road on the north, Glenn Street on the south. In other words, close to what today is Salpointe HIgh School.
Hedrick was Elias Hedrick, who had been superintendent of Live Poultry Transportation Co. in Chicago before he and his wife came to Tucson in 1900 for her health. The Tucson area where he started his subdivision also was home to several poultry farms, according to the neighborhood association. So many reasons to have a chicken as a mascot!